Sunday, November 27, 2005

christian behaviour

When I went for my job interview with a local childcare agency it came up that I was a Christian (due to my job experience being with two Christian aid organisations and youth group). Recently my employer (at the childcare agency) rang to ask me if I wanted a temporary full-time nanny position. She said to me “you go to church on Sundays, don’t you, so you wont want to work then”. I didn’t really know what to say as I haven’t really been going to church over the past 13 months, but I still don’t like the idea of working on Sundays, plus I intend to go to church more often now that I’ve found one I feel more comfortable with (like the hypocrisy of the fact that I am typing this on a Sunday morning?).. anyway – it seems to me like a lot of people out there see church as synonymous with being a Christian, so I didn’t want to confuse my employer’s theology impressions, so I said “yes, I go to church on Sunday mornings, so I’d prefer not to work then”
(I wont get into the rant about Christians being church rather than attending it…)
The next day I was at my employer’s house to collect some papers, and she was asking me about where I’ll be living next year. I mentioned that I’ll be flatting again, and she said “oh? why don’t you move in with your partner?” and I mentioned that he’ll be living next door (horror of horrors) and she grinned and said “aah – well you’ll be able to say ‘your place or mine?’” I laughed, somewhat surprised. “and you wont have to worry about getting a ride home when you’ve been drinking, you can just stumble next door”, she laughed.

Interesting, I thought, that she equated being a Christian with going to church, but not with sleeping with your ‘partner’ or drinking large volumes of alcohol…

Is this our fault for not setting a better example? Or do people out there just have interesting perceptions because they don’t know enough about being a Christian?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A bit of both I suspect...

1:11 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home