Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Why so downcast oh my soul?

Psalm 8:3-4 When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars which you have set in place, what is man that you are mindful of him, the son of man that you care for him?

Psalm 16:7-8 I will praise the LORD, who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me. I have set the LORD always before me. Because he is at my right hand, I will not be shaken.
Psalm 18:2-3 The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I call to the LORD, who is worthy of praise, and I am saved from my enemies.

Psalm 18:28 You, O LORD, keep my lamp burning; my God turns my darkness into light.

Psalm 19:1 The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands.

Psalm 23:4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff they comfort me.
Psalm 27:1 The LORD is my light and my salvation - whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life - of whom shall I be afraid?

Psalm 32:8 I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you.
Psalms 34:7 The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear him, and he delivers them.
Psalm 40:2 He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.

Psalm 42:1 As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God.
Psalm 42:2 My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God?

Psalm 43:3 Send forth your light and your truth, let them guide me; let them bring me to your holy mountain, to the place where you dwell.
Psalm 43:5-6 Why are you downcast, Oh my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Saviour and my God.

Psalm 46:10 Be still and know that I am God.

Why are you downcast, Oh my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Yeah. So my Bill, who i posted about a wee while ago is apparently in a coma. I think the end is near.
Im feeling really selfish - i dont want Bill to die! He has an awesome future waiting for him... but i'm still sad...
Is it ok to feel like that? Or should i be happy that its finally finished? Help.

You, O LORD, keep my lamp burning; my God turns my darkness into light.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ruth said...

it's ok to feel like that.

3:41 pm  
Blogger Kelly said...

Maybe you could think about being happy for Bill going to chill with Jesus without the pain, and separate that out from your sadness that you'll miss him. Both feelings are legit, both need to be acknowledged, but it gets confusing when you mix them together. I'll pray for you both.

4:24 pm  
Blogger Philotas said...

Just went through this with Grandad. Mate, yeh, what Ruth said. its ok to feel that way. but remember that if Bill dies, then it is a release. i mean, if you were in his position, would you rather be stuck in your body in pain and still in this world? or moving on, GOing to your true home. to meet your savior face to face?

Its true that we who are left behind though, have the toughest time. Prayers your way mate!

3:06 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is nothing wrong with grieving--Jesus Himself grieved. But for those who have placed their trust in Jesus Christ as their Savior and Lord we are told not to grieve as those who have no hope. We have the greatest of hope that consoles us even as we grieve. I lost both of my parents and grieved the loss but at the same time I had hope and could simultaneously rejoice for them.

Here's one of the things that has always blown me away--the smallest verse in the Bible: "Jesus wept". He wept at the death of Lazarus--His friend He was about to raise from the dead. If Jesus (God in the flesh) wept (grieved at the death of His friend) even though He knew He was about to bring Him back to life, that indicates to me that grieving is a legit thing to do when we lose one(s) we love--even with the hope that the story isn't over for them.

Both emotions can legitimately be present at the same time--grief and hope--or grieving with hope.

This hope is not "fairytale" hope. It is based on the character of God, the resurrection of Christ, and the promises given by our promise-keeping God.

10:36 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home