Friday, July 30, 2004

aah... a good healthy dose of reflection

Ooookay! Right... well you guys have inspired me to be totally honest, and explain everything that happened with Ben last year. Hopefully this will make the whole issue make a whole lot more sense... Dont worry too much about commenting if you dont feel led, you've already just commented on the last issue, so its okay, dont feel like you have to think twice in two posts. *grin*
Im going to try and write this without too much boring/excessive detail, but without missing out bits that are important. .... i guess i can always come back later and prune it... which, by the way Mike, is an awesome analogy... i never thought about it like that before! I like! I'm glad that i was pruned, because it really changed my attitudes and made me be way more careful with myself, and less trusting, which was good.

Okay.. so I met Ben early last year, i was studying with Max, a hot french canadian boy, who had been in my spanish class, but because i am a boy-magnet even after we dropped Spanish we still hung out. Anyway, ((getting distracted thinking about Estie getting the Hermil award for most likely to marry a Foreign Hot, lol..)) Max's friend Ben came up and told us about how he'd just cut his finger on the grater, then left. I didnt see him again for about 3 months when i talked to him for about an hour. The next day i was studying up on the third floor, and he came along and we studied together. Now if you think im a flirt, he was like 10times better...so we just goofed around for about 3 hours, while trying to study, then i had a class, so he walked me to it, and we hugged goodbye. And 2 hours later he had a class, so i walked him to that, and he kissed me. Er like proper french kiss i guess. I guess you guys dont really care too much, except for me meaning that it was pretty full on, for a first kiss!

--i have to stop the story here and just say that I am not that girl. I have never been that girl. And never thought i would do something like that. I dont know what happened... perhaps i just got caught up in the fantasy of having something that everyone else had always had, and lost my head.
(he he.. that reminds me of The Lion, The Witch, And the Wardrobe when the White Witch is talking to a table of squirrels and stuff who are having a party, and she asks them if they have seen father Christmas, and tells them that if they say they haven't she will let them go...
'At that moment, one of the young squirrels lost its head completely.
"he has- he has- he has!" it squeaked, banging its spoon on the table.'
And instantly the witch turns them into stone.

I think this links in perfectly to Pauls comment, about how this was something that represented feeling loved and feeling like part of something special, even when it wasnt really the person himself who was so special. --

So, this is where time gets a bit warped in my mind, but i think it was a few days later when we had a talk about how a relationship wouldnt work anyway, because we were on two totally different levels, and at the end of it, he walked me to my car about 7 or 8pm, when it was all nice and dark and cool, and we ended up staying there for over an hour, just talking and hugging and stuff, which was kinda weird considering we'd just talked about how we werent "going anywhere" as a couple.
The next tuesday/wednesday? (dammit! i dont know *Grin* time has beaten me!) it was my birthday and the next day i went round to his house to say hi. Dont ask me why. I was stupid. Caught up in something that i knew was wrong, yet somehow tricked myself into thinking it was okay. And we kissed again, but i basically knew that that was the end of it all.

So... i guess what i've learnt/observed is that Ben is a great guy. He's heaps of what i want in a guy, and we really connected. He even likes squirrels... i mean if that isnt telling me he's THE ONE then nothing is *snort*. Throughout the whole thing i kept remembering this verse "whoever thinks that he stands take heed lest he fall".. which really nailed me one... as i never thought I would be the one to go first, lol. And as i said before, i fell hard (without the 'ly' *grin*) as i had always had these boundaries and guidelines for what i would and wouldnt do, and i remember how when i stood out at my car snuggling up to Ben, i thought "what would Jesus think if he walked along" and thinking in reply "oh he wouldnt mind. I've told Ben that im a Christian so we wont be having a relationship" (as if that makes it okay.)
As a result, i have really re-evaluated my boundaries, and for instance, im way more careful about being alone with guys, and cos im a touchy feely person i massively just stopped that, (which has been kinda hard to get back into... even hugging girls has been hard now that i just stopped most psyical contact for ages). Some people think the new boundaries i've set are kinda extreme, but i know that its better to be safe than to be left feeling like you've let yourself, other Christians, and God down afterwards.

Im happy, too, that i wasnt upset for long yesterday. I didnt do too much hurting before i just gave it all over to God and talked about the reasons behind the hurt, rather than wallowing (like a hippo) in the hurt.

So thanks to all you guys for supporting me through this, and i really feel like your insights have totally caught the essence of how i feel.
Sam first (argh, i always start to type 'Phil' then have to delete it *grin*): Ben does represent a massive change in my life, and the beginning of the end of my secular Christianity. And even if sometimes i wish this had never happened, it really helped make me who i am today, which im thankful for! (Postage isnt that much... Mike's posting himself, lol.. and, i jest, i told Mike that if you're a foreign hot he can bring you back here =P ) (oh and i love Rat Race!!)
Mike: i really do like your talk of pruning! I am glad that that part of my life, where i thought i was strong, yet wasnt really, had to come to an end, even if it did hurt like hell at the time, and on and off even a year later.
Fraser: thanks for your big word "self-recrimination" ... its really true, and i dont think i had really considered that aspect before - that perhaps when i see Ben i dont feel pain because its him, but because of how i behaved when he came along.
(and dont worry, not ever having the opportunity to be burninated is good... relish it *grin*)
Paul-ster: you were so right-on, dude... and i think its interesting that i didnt come up with that explanation myself. Kinda embarassing really, for me who likes to talk about some stuff but not about other stuff, it brings up the whole issue of "yeah, i am looking for that package". He he.. this is hard for me to admit, as i like to think im not looking for a man, but i guess if im honest i truly am. And i think you're right in suggesting that perhaps Ben represents that package, so i guess it is always going to be hard when i see Ben (and Nathan) as it will remind me more of how real the sense of not finding the right package is!

Hee hee... and that leads me right on to the next things i want to post about... so stay tuned! Same squirrel time, same squirrel channel!

8 Comments:

Blogger Philotas said...

BWAHAHAHA! (please allow me this moment of indulgence) I AM THE FIRST POSTER! ^_^ haHAH! i realise you said not to post if we didnt feel like it, but had to take this opportunity!
lol.. all this talk about foreign hots will attract Miguel! just you wait! :D

Woah, french kiss first time? a bit full on! :) a bit unexpected too. it seems kinda unfair to do that to you if he didnt think a relationship will work.. but maybe at that stage he did?

I dont know, i look at it this way. Although it was pushing your boundaries as you see it, it could have gotten pushed a lot more. So from that point of view it was a good (hard) learning experience?
Yeh, secular Christianity.. *sighs* i know that scene! and hope that im past it now. that was SO last year :P

Another good piece of advice i picked up along the way, that i think youve already said was that if you dont want to be tempted, then dont put yourself in situations where you are likely to be. But yeh! you already said that! ^_^

I might also dig myself in deeper here, so hand me that shovel! I think that maybe you should watch that you dont isolate yourself too much. i mean, a certain amount of physical contact is healthy! :) (you cant play most REAL sports without it...although AFL you can play with it, and thats not a real sport ;) sorry Mike, and all you AFL fans! :D) Its Healthy in the right proportions. Kinda like the whole Glass and a Half of full cream dairy milk. Just enough to make a good bar of chocolate. :D (i dunno where that came from.. probably just craving)

But yeh, also, ill compare it to abstinence, not only from physical stuff, but from food too. a good rule of dieting (my Mum is a dietitian, so my life revolves around nutrition! :P) is to make sure that you have a little bit of 'bad' or 'junky' stuff as well, so that if you are tempted, you can give yourself a little bit, whereas if you go cold turkey, you are more likely to have a massive blow out, eat heaps and feel it afterwards! :D

Wow i think my analogies today are telling me im hungry! :D
Oh, and just a last little thing, I have a really stylised comic of the Lion Witch and the Wardrobe in Hardcover. That squirrel scene is so sad :'( but they get turned back in the end! ^_^
Chronicles of Narnia rocks.. but the last bAttle just got weird! :P

SAM

3:22 pm  
Blogger Nathan said...

Heh...
Congratulations SAM!

5:15 pm  
Blogger Kelly said...

Well, I got here too late to make relevant comments on your other posts, but here's a huge hug for you to put with the others. I love you baby girl & I'm so proud of you for being so big about this that you can just be totally honest in front of everyone (on the internet, no less), I reckon this is evidence that as sucky as the experience was, you've used it for the best & if you beat yourself up about it anymore I'll slap you silly! Reading your little story, it's nuts how similar it sounds to mine & a whole lot of my mates, sometimes it sucks to be a girl, hey? You'd think we'd learn off each other, but no. You rock.

5:17 pm  
Blogger Michelle said...

tee hee hee *blush* Aah Miguel, mi amado... you are as sweet as candy and twice as bad for me! Lol... i dont know where that one came from!
But your romantic rhetoric is lovely... i cannot wait to meet you and share loving spanish prose with you *long sigh*

Yay! a Kelly-comment! woo-pah!! And yay, im glad many other girls are just as foolish as me! well im not reeeeally glad, cos it would be nice if we always acted perfectly, and never got hurt or anything, but i guess its still nice to have others who can sympathise with you :)

Yay, Sam, you're my hero :)
But yeah, you're right about not being too isolated... im trying to keep a decent medium where its still healthy, but not putting me at risk. Maybe i'll have to start playing Aussie Rules to get my healthy dose of man-touching? lol...

9:36 pm  
Blogger Philotas said...

LOL LOL.. good call.. but oh dear! LOL :) such a good call.

thats what they do! :D those arial pingpong players in their short short lycra shorts! lol... play a real sport! Play rugby League! ^_^

LOL.. im gonna tell that one to my mate, he loves the AFL.. ^_^

9:42 pm  
Blogger Michelle said...

ha ha ha ha *grin*
well come on mate!! why else do they wear such tiny little shorts? its just WEIRD.. lol

10:03 pm  
Blogger Notions Incognito said...

Yup, I got here too late for the last post too, and then blogger had a hernia and wouldn't let me comment - so this is a bit late... The fact that you are able to share it suggests you're well on the way to being over it. Good for you. So have a big hug...

***HHHHUUUUUUUUGGGG...GGG*** =)

I agree with previous comments. Somehow I think of my last post (about character and the choices we make). Seems like even though he didn't mean much at the time, your actions kinda brought with them some emotion too. Maybe that's why you are surprised by how much it has affected you. That's why predetermined boundaries are so important I think. Your story makes me kinda glad I've always stuck to my boundaries - not that I've really had much opportunity to break them... but anyway.

Boundaries are great, but I don't think they always stop that initial liking of someone who we know we should never really go out with. Emotions are stupid sometimes. =) Having accidentally tripped and fallen over a few girls in my time (metaphorically, of course), I think it can be really difficult both to avoid it and to pick yourself up after such a fall in dignified fashion, dusting off the hoofprints =) But I've learned a few things... First, look out! =) Second, don't trust yourself about matters of the heart - but listen to the advice of God and trusted friends and family:

Jer 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and it is incurable; who can know it?

And third, if you do stumble over someone on your way to finding your spouse, it might take some time for the bruises to heal. But heal they do, and all the wiser we become. It's just like walking through cutty-grass (I hope you know what I'm talking about). It's great to avoid it when you see it up ahead, but if you walk through and get a bit cut up, it sure makes you be more careful next time! =)

I think it's easy to like people who 'wear their heart on their sleeve' (song lyric) because they don't have to battle through layers of emotional shells. When we get hurt, I think we usually make like an oyster and plaster some hard protective coating on it so it doesn't get hurt again. But of course, that makes it harder to love others too, not just be loved. By talking about it and sharing what's on your heart, you get the pearl of wisdom out of the experience (get it? heh heh), and leave a nice open, honest and lovable heart. Oysters are cool... but not that tasty.

The more we love, and the more we are loved, the more we can hurt and be hurt. Life's a risk, and everyone does things they could regret. But yeay for you! cause you're revamping your faith to something true because of it - choosing to live it out for real and not just talking about it. Check out Jer 17:7,8. =)

10:27 am  
Blogger Michelle said...

hey thanks Reubs :) thats an awesome part of Jeremiah - i hadnt come across it before, so thanks! i like! and am just colouring it in in my bible now!
I'm glad im not an oyster! they're all rubbery and gross, he he!
Boundaries are a hard one, cos we never think we're going to break them, and even with Ben, i didnt really break any of the boundaries that i had set - which is sad. Perhaps it is best to start with quite tight boundaries right from the start, to protect yourself all the more =)
Anyways, i was thinking, i'm actually quite glad (?) that this has happened because its really helped me to grow in my relationship with God, and be more open with other people about things in my life.
Lol... im kinda off on a rant here, but yeah... thanks for reading and commenting, and being awesome!!

4:17 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home