Friday, October 29, 2004

Great ways to study for your linguistics exam

I've been ant-watching. I put some banana loaf on the ground and watched as first 3 ants each found their piece of loaf, then more ants came scurrying along, until there were about 30 ants eating, and others scurrying around, some carrying little bits of loaf in their mouths. I watched them for about an hour before a)my neck got sore from the contorted position i was lying in, b)it got hot, c)i was hungry, and d)i felt guilty for not doing more study...

I like antys!

Here is an excerpt from a book we have on Invertebrates:
"[Ants] follow smell trails. Some keep aphids just as farmers keep cows, 'milking' them for a sweet sticky juice. Others have learnt to grow edible fungus."
aaaaaaawesome! Look at them go!! Heh heh...

4 Comments:

Blogger Matthew P said...

Ants are cool! I remember watching a colony of ants once, there were always ants coming out with bits of dirt that they'd excavated, and ants going in with little food morsals, including smaller insects (I don't think those insects were for farming though, they looked more like appetisers)

That reminds me of a nature documentary I saw once about an army of tropical ants. They ate any living thing they came into contact with, no matter how much bigger it was. Except when they came across a large tropical slug, I was too slimy for them to hold onto and bite. So they went around gathering little bits of dirt and twigs, and stuck it to the slug to help absorb the slime, and so they could climb onto it and eat it.

So if you ever encounter a giant slug which you'd like to eat, you know what to do!

2:12 pm  
Blogger Nathan said...

I've always wanted an ant farm, ever since playing Sim Ant. That was a great game - did anyone ever play that game?

Ants are cool, even if they are a slight problem sometimes. oh well.

10:54 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fraser, I can't believe it! Entomology will get you many places, like out to Lincoln every day for 2 summers. Go Michelle and her nerdy insect fascination, (we can be nerdy insect buddies together), Helen

5:46 pm  
Blogger Michelle said...

nerdy? hmph!!
Nathan!!! yes!!! i decided, because i've ALWAYS wanted an ant farm, that i am going to get one for in the flat next year if i can find one :) Yay! you can come visit me and share in the fascination of watching ants gather food!
Aah Fraser.... !! The joys of an overactive imagination! I'm sure it will be the linguists that will be fanning the political scientists, discussing chomskyan theories on um... whatever it is in political science that he forms theories on... i forget... and i digress...
back to ant watching ..er ... i mean studying!

11:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home