Saturday, December 29, 2007

random christmas thoughts

I actually enjoyed my christmas, in the company of people who don't believe in Christ, nor his birth, which was a totally different experience. Also, finding a moment to read through the gospel accounts of the birth of Christ reminded me of just how strange God is. What a funny way to send the saviour into the world - born to an unmarried woman, visited by shepherds, fleeing to a foreign country...
I think Brian McLaren talks about how this quiet, unassuming birth is rather like christianity itself (or how it should be) - quiet, behind the scenes, spreading delicately, a whispered revolution - not one of domination or shouting. A movement that wins through kindness, love, care for others.

That's how I'd like to live my faith, stage my revolution. But sadly I think I fall very short of this ideal.

God please help me to reach others through kindness and care, to be subtle and respectful, to never judge others for their convictions, or lack thereof, and most of all, to take your love with me wherever I go. And thank you for modelling this through Jesus. I want to be your (vaguely misshapen) vessel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home